Saturday, December 14, 2013

Candycane Crunch Brownies


I made these brownies for the first time 2 years ago when my parents were in Hawaii. I was so amazed that when I was raving about them to my mom she made me promise that I would save some for them. I managed to sneak one away before everyone devoured them. 



The homemade brownie layer is so rich and decadent and the frosting has the perfect amount of peppermint!

Candy cane Crunch Brownies
Adapted From Our Best Bites

Brownies:  4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (1 oz. squares)
2 sticks of butter
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 t baking powder

Icing: 1/4 c butter
2 c powdered sugar
1 t peppermint extract
1/2 t vanilla
2 t milk
red food coloring

Chocolate Glaze: 1 cup chocolate chips
6 T. butter

1/2 cup crushed candy canes

Melt chopped up chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals. beat sugar, eggs and vanilla with a mixer. Add in chocolate mixture and add flour and baking powder. Bake in a foil lined pan for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely. 
For icing: beat butter for 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, flavorings and coloring. Add milk until it's a spreading consistency.  Spread over cooled brownies and chill until semi-hardened. 
For Glaze. Combine in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second intervals. Pour over icing. Top with candy canes and harden. Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment